This week Year 1 continued their learning on the season on Advent and on Friday they worked well to prepare the prayer space to mark the change in Liturgical season.
In Religion they learnt about the Advent Wreath and how the candles help us countdown to Jesus’ birth.
Year 1 drew and collaged their own Advent Wreaths to support their understanding of the 4 weeks of Advent.
Year 1 worked really hard as a team to come up with lots of different Advent promises before writing their chosen one onto a star and presenting it at assembly.
In our art topic on ‘exploring colour’ the children had a chance to apply their skills in modelling clay into concentric circles based on the work of Wassily Kandinsky. The clay will take some time to dry before the children can apply their paint colours.
Year 1 also showed their amazing scissor skills to cut concentric circles to make a tile to add to our whole class display which is inspired by Kandinsky.
To support the children’s science learning on animals we had a visit from a vet, Dr. Barbara, who spoke to the children about her role and they were very enthusiastic in their questioning.
- All children in Year 1 are narrators in our Nativity.
Please may all children bring a smart/ party outfit into school in a named bag from Monday 6th December so we can use them for the dress rehearsal before the play. It’s important that the children are confident in changing in and out of their outfit independently.
- Your child has their Christmas play lines in their reading record to learn.
- Please see the latest newsletter for Nativity dates and timings.
Enjoy your weekend,
- Your child’s tricky words quiz has been sent home today. Please revise the unfamiliar words before writing the words in sentences and completing the word search.
- Thank you in support the children’s learning on adjectives by completing the home learning. Year 1 continued learning about how adjectives can add extra information to writing and adjectives make it more interesting for a reader. Please encourage your children to spot adjectives in their home school reading book or any other books you read over the weekend.